• Overall
    4,5 /5
    4,6 /5
    4,4 /5

About BambooHR

BambooHR features integrated applicant tracking (ATS) as part of our award-winning cloud-based HR information software package.

Learn more about BambooHR

Showing 1 252 reviews

Jeremy S.
On Site Recruiter
Human Resources, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/02

"BambooHR Turns a Small Business into a Big Business"

Comments: I enjoyed it more than other recruiting software I've used. It makes work easier and helps me be a manager instead of a paper pusher.

Pros: I personally like that BambooHR has different portals for its users. They've built a database that allows employees to: 1. Maintain their own records (whether the company sends or user uploaded); track time off earned, sick days used, and hours worked; while allowing the user to sign documents easily electronically; and 2. Makes being an HR manager, easy. What I mean is, creating records (employees or temps) and ensuring they have all the blocks checked (background ran, drug test paperwork properly filled out, and any other documentation needing signed) within the timeframe needed to start working - is tracked, maintained, and recorded for you... so all in all, eliminates the monotony of HR and time wasted on paperwork while assisting managers/employees in ensuring proper compliance.

Cons: Well, I still had to scan any documents that weren't created or automated through the software and label them. For example, I work at a satellite location; the warehouse I staff for has a basketball court out back for employees to use on their break. I had to create a document that stated employees for my agency had to make sure they were clocked out, that they were responsible for any risk of injury and that the company and staffing agency would not be held liable for any resulting injury that may occur. The rest of the staffing agency didn't need this so I still had to print out 50 copies, have each employee sign one, upload it, file it in the employee file in the software, label it, then give the copy back to the employee. This really is not an issue unless if turnover is high, this could get annoying.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/02
Jay R.
Director of Corporate Culture & Guest Experience
Automotive, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/01

"Simple to use and an absolute must.."

Pros: The customer support is flawless, they practice what they preach. The product works exactly as delivered. Easy to use and great product support.

Cons: There have been no cons to the software. If i had one thing to say, I would like to an alternate platform to generate the monthly cost or a more transparent discount program based on headcount.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/01
Danielle C.
Senior Compliance Generalist
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/29

"BambooHR - 10/10 Would Recommend"

Comments: Overall, it's been a really great experience as an implementer, an admin, and a user.

Pros: I advocated for BambooHR for my company as its first HRIS, and I believed it would be a major benefit to our company, and it has been. It's a major bragging right of mine that I found BambooHR at a conference, convinced my boss to sign off on it, and executed the roll-out and got most staff on-board with it as a concept. So, I like most things about BambooHR. It's intuitive for users and administrators alike. The setup was as easy as setting up a new company-wide software could be, with hands-on customer service and a robust information center. The hiring tool is phenomenal, and I have gotten so many positive comments from managers about how much easier their hiring process was with the hiring tool. I like how y ou can submit software suggestions to customer service and they take your feedback into consideration, and new features get rolled out constantly. It's just a great place to keep everything in one place and make HR more efficient, and it's a super dynamic tool.

Cons: Honestly, there's not a lot I don't like about the software. When we first got it, I would say its lack of payroll integration, but it's since integrated TRAX payroll with the software, which our accounting team is now switching to.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/29
Sally C.
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/03

"We started with nothing, now we have it all!"

Comments: LOVE this product and the creators behind it . Would absolutely recommend to others!

Pros: Our company did not have an HR platform so starting with Bamboo was a no-brainer. The sales team and implementation team are fantastic, their self guided materials and videos are 2nd to none!

Cons: I wish there was an integration between Bamboo and QuickBooks. Hopefully that will happen eventually and make our payroll lives even easier!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/03
Lisa D.
HR Director
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/21

"Excellent product!"

Comments: If you need to be FULLY integrated, this may not be the right solution for you - you would have look at their partnerships prior to implementation. But the integrations they lack, they have made up for it with the tools the provide.

Pros: We experienced a disaster when we migrated from Zenefits to another HRIS. While we experiencing such challenges, we found BambooHR and made the immediate switch. It has been a huge, pleasant adjustment for our company! After dealing with the customer service from Zenefits and the overall issues with the other HRIS, we finally landed in a place that provides a great product and great customer service that suits our needs. The implementation was incredibly smooth. Our rep, was knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, available, efficient, loyal to the brand, etc... She went above and beyond on all of her commitments, worked hard to keep us on track, and was available throughout all of implementation. Once we were in the product, I was concerned about not having an assigned Account Manager. But the customer service desk is well trained and a wealth of knowledge, so we have not needed an assigned account manager. Reports are incredibly easy to access, company metrics are incredibly easy to understand, the features provided solve all of our business needs, and employees enjoy using the product. Time off works well, the app is super helpful, the esign feature makes any HR project easier to complete, the approvals have kept all the correct parties in the loop. Onboarding has been a major improvement - new hires get to see their teammates before their first day, which new hires have loved! No glitches every time. So reliable. Lastly, they don't have contracts. They are a month-to-month service.

Cons: We wish there was more flexibility for integration, but I understand why they are choosy with their partnerships. We have to manually upload data into our payroll which has caused some errors. Also, the approvals aren't flexible. It's either all or nothing meaning - if a single participant involved in a multilevel workflow is out of the office, the entire approval is bypassed. I would like the flexibility to approve on the behalf of the absent individual while allowing the other participants to still play their part. Outside of that, we are very happy with the product.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/21
Beth T.
HR Director
Construction
  • Reviewed on 2016/05/13

"We love BambooHR and the customization possibilities it provides!"

Pros: I did a lot of research on HRIS before choosing BambooHR. For those thinking about using BambooHR, really look at how your structure is set up and how you want it to work when the product goes live. For example, we have two divisions in two different locations. Both divisions are very unique and what one division needed the other did not. Getting this figured out before implementation will help alleviate the need for a lot of change once the system goes live. For our company, BambooHR was by far the best fit for us. The best thing about this product is the customization and the ease in which we were able to implement the system. From the time we decided to go with BambooHR to the time it was implemented and functional was a little over a month! My dedicated implementation specialist, Carol Brogdon was great to work with during the implementation of the system. I am not IT expert or tech person, and this was easy! The customization of the system allows (from the beginning) you to create a system in which each user can see as mush or as little of the information as needed. Since implementation, I have even been able to customize more information on the site that is specific to our needs with two different locations and divisions. The time off feature allows our employees to request time off from their smart phones or pc quickly and for our admin and foremen the calendar of "Who's Out" is extremely useful, especially for looking ahead and seeing who will be out on vacations or sick/holiday time. Anniversary dates and birthdays are visible and there is no longer a need to keep a spreadsheet with this information. The reports that can be generated on training, time off balances, licensing, etc has been a time saver. The ability to transform these reports into PDF, excel and even share custom reports as needed has been very beneficial to us. On-boarding, off-boarding, completing forms as needed has been extremely efficient utilizing the uploading of files and then setting up the signature templates (no more paper pushing or waiting for people to sign and return documents). Uploading files to share with all employees or just a few employees is also a great tool. We utilize the company announcements to send important information to some or all of our employees. The notes section has been invaluable for our managers to document information and if an employee moves to a new location, the new manager now has that information at their fingertips. Our employees can update their address, marital status, with-holdings, etc all from their dashboard. No longer do they have to wonder if the HR department has their most current information because they see what is on file for them with the company when they log in.
We have yet to utilize the Job Openings component yet. This was a big draw, as we had experienced a large growth last year. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending) our hiring has tapered off, so we have not had the opportunity to try this out. As far as BambooHR responsiveness to any issues I have encountered, they have been very quick to resolve. I like that they are constantly trying to improve the product and take ideas and suggestions on areas of concern. This type of progressive thinking and action will make them and keep them a front runner in the HRIS world.

Cons: Like any product, the more you use it, the easier it seems. There were kinks to work out when we first went live. Permissions, setting up employee fields and email alerts all needed some tweeking, but again, the system and BambooHR support was great getting through the learning curve.
I did opt to go with Maxwell health for the online health care enrollment piece and I have been live with BambooHR since January 2016 and I am still not live with Maxwell Health and do not know when I will be, so if you are thinking of that option, I would really look into other options as it does not seem to be as responsive or as dynamic as BambooHR despite what the sales pitch shows.

• Reviewed on 2016/05/13
Travis A.
Director of People & Culture
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/29

"Former and Future User"

Comments: It seems weird to be writing a review as a non-customer, but I'm a former user who found, implemented, used, and administrated this product for my business. Had to go away from it for a while, but looking forward to getting back to it again as soon as they have a viable payroll solution ready to roll. We were using this as a supplement to ADP. ADP was our payroll system and BambooHR was the rest of our HRIS solution for everything else we needed. When things became unbearable with ADP and we dropped them, we found an all in one solution that made BambooHR unnecessary. If Bamboo had a payroll solution, we would be using them today. My HR team love BambooHR and all of our employees liked it as well. Several ask periodically when we are going back to them on a regular basis.

Pros: Ease of use
Intuitive design and flow
Amazing customer service
Development team constantly on the move and open minded to any suggestion you have

Cons: Doesn't have a viable payroll solution yet to be a true all in one HR solution yet

• Reviewed on 2019/08/29
Brooke J.
  • Reviewed on 2017/03/21

"Everything You Could Ever Need"

Comments: I could probably write a whole book about why I think organizations should be using BambooHR. I am currently a one-woman show at my company and was running most of our processes on dropbox and drive documents. BambooHR has freed up so much of my time, allowing me to be more strategic and take better care of my team. Bamboo makes our company even more organized and improves the hiring to on-boarding experience by 1000%. Let's start with the Applicant Tracking Software. I went from having no ATS and using google docs to Bamboo and it has made my life so much easier and our lines of communication to applicants even better. It allows me to stick to deadlines, keep everything in one place, and never misplace an applicant. I don't know how I would have gotten through hiring for our summer internship program (180 applicants) with out this software. On-boarding: incredible. I can send a new hire packet to my new hire and they feel so well communicated with every step of the way. Being able to fill out their paperwork online is so important - they can do most of it before they even step into our office. Then they have access to everything later - what more could they (or I) want? Reporting time off - We have unlimited vacation but still use Bamboo to keep track of where people are and how many days are spent out of the office. It's so incredibly easy to set up and my freedom loving team loves using it. (There is even an app!) The day to day - it makes everything easier. I have everyone's phone numbers, addresses, SSNs, EVERYTHING in one place. I'm an evangelist for a reason, it's hands down the best thing I've implemented for my team.

Pros: So simple, effective, customizable. Customer service is amaaaazing. You can do everything you would possibly want and now they have payroll.

Cons: I literally don't not like a thing about Bamboo.

• Reviewed on 2017/03/21
David K.
HR Manager
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 2016/09/06

"BambooHR = HR Genius"

Pros: Working with BambooHR has been an eye-opening experience into what life as and HR Professional is like without spreadsheets and paper processes. BambooHR's cloud-based HR platform allows you to recruit, hire and onboard new hires all within one complete system. Through their user friendly applicant tracking system the Hiring Managers are able to comment on candidates and pass them through to the hire process. Once a candidate is selected for hire the system has a built in onboarding package which you can customize for all new hires to include necessary paperwork such as (W-4s, I-9, and company information that can be signed electronically). BambooHR's platform also comes with an easy to use time off tracking system which allows employees and manager to easily track leave requests and a calendar to view when the corresponding team members are out of the office. Bamboo also allows the company to keep track of which benefits employees have elected to ensure compliance throughout the organization. Not to mention, there is a built in organizational chart which allows the employee to view the entire reporting structure of the company along with their direct reports and supervisors. Lastly BambooHR also offers additional apps and add-ons for performance review management which has made annual reviews a quick and painless process for managers and their employees.

Cons: The only thing that this product does not provide is a payroll service. BambooHR is purely and HRIS that will manage all of the company's human resource functions but does not serve as a payroll provider. However they do provide apps that allow select payroll providers to integrate with their software as well as those with customizeable API integrations.

• Reviewed on 2016/09/06
Jessica B.
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/03

"Helping small businesses make HR easier"

Comments: It's a godsend for the hiring process. And it really helps us centralize where a lot of HR info lives. And being able to set up signature templates for forms and the onboarding/offboarding checklists are fantastic. But it's not the cheapest. Still with it though.

Pros: It's so great to have a centralized place to organize all this info. Before we were keeping things in hard copy folder, random folders on our server, etc. This is definitely more organized. And I love the signature templates and the way you can set up an onboarding and offboarding process. For a small team like mine, you don't do that stuff very often, and now I can just click the "onboarding" button, instead of spending a few days trying to remember everything I need to do. And OMG, it is a godsend for the hiring process. The way you can collect resumes, review canidates, rate them, leave comments, change their status based on where they are in the process, it's AMAZING. It has saved us HOURS and HOURS of time when hiring.

Cons: The cost is a little steep. And sometimes that hurts when people seem to keep forgetting that it's there for them to reference. And we pay extra for the reviews, which can be great when you use them, but they take so much time that sometimes we skip them.

• Reviewed on 2018/10/03
John J.
Consultant
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/09

"Perfect for the small, upcoming business"

Comments: The product also provides opportunities for performance managing your team by selecting the "Performance" package. This has helped keep a pulse on our company's engagement and loyalty. Great product!

Pros: The program is very easy to use and is quite intuitive. You have the ability to customize many options. BambooHR does a nice job of sending out monthly feature updates that keep the HR team up to date and knowledgeable. There are several vendors that will work well with the BambooHR platform as well. These vendors include but are not limited to payroll and benefits. They are fun and helpful with their customer service. Great product for the price point!

Cons: I would like the option to customize our organizational chart to be easier to use. It seems clunky at this point. Otherwise I have zero complaints!

• Reviewed on 2018/03/09
Regional Digital Provisoning Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/29

"Convenient and Efficient People Management"

Comments: BambooHR saves time and makes it simple for everyone to get the HR related stuff done quickly so they can focus on their actual jobs. The app for both iOS and Android means most functions can also be done on the go. This software is a must have for companies of all sizes.

Pros: After struggling with Excel sheets, time logs, and software reminiscent of Access 97 databases, BambooHR is a dream for people management. With a clean, responsive interface and built-in tutorials, users and administrators can jump in and get up to speed quickly. The marketplace also has tons of integrations for just about every function you can think of. The most convenient feature is how Bamboo streamlines the orientation of new employees. With configurable tasks and documents, Bamboo can track progress and keep signed records eliminating the need for a lot of printing and physical file storage.

Cons: The setting options are both a blessing and a curse. If not configured carefully, you can potentially expose sensitive data to those who shouldn’t have it. Not everyone needs to know how much vacation time the CEO has left.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/29
Courtney D.
Recruiter
Medical Practice
  • Reviewed on 2016/09/14

"Recruiting and Onboarding with BambooHR"

Pros: Since our company started using BambooHR we saved our company time and money due to the efficient processes that Bamboo provides in terms of human resources services. Especially in recruiting new employees, Bamboo has a built-in Applicant Tracking System which allows for Hiring Managers and recruiters to accurately track the status of their candidates as they progress through the different interviewing stages until the offer is made. Once the offer is made the system has on on-boarding platform included which will allow the employee to on-board new hires in a consistent fashion. Through the on-boarding tool new hires will be able to complete a series of tasks on a checklist such as reading the employee handbook and payroll forms. Overall this has been a great addition to our HR team which has helped streamline the overall processes in a more efficient and time saving manner for the whole company. The time that was spent reconciling spreadsheets can now be spent to develop strategic initiatives to improve the overall well-being of the company and its processes.

Cons: The only service that BambooHR does not provide is payroll. However there are several apps that integrate with Bamboo which can be downloaded to your company's site along with an open API function which can be used to pull data from your current payroll system once the integration has been established.

• Reviewed on 2016/09/14
Tech Lead, Strategic Alliances and Business Development
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/18

"Excellent SaaS based HR tool"

Comments: Good experience, works well for our company.

Pros: UI is very clean and intuitive. There are fours main sections: home, my info, employees, files. My info shows all your personal information, title, performance reviews, emergency contacts, etc. Employees shows the company directory is very useful for understanding the structure of the company. Files shows all the pertinent documents like medical, holidays, etc. Very simple and easy to navigate. HR tasks are sent to your inbox with periodic reminders.

Cons: In the tree view for company directory, when I click on an employee, instead of showing me their information it will just bring to my own employee page. Not sure if this is by design or a bug.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/18
Parker H.
Manager of People and Places
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/09

"Great HR product, very intuitive with a great design"

Pros: Very intuitive from an admin and user side. Shows the information in a very pleasing way. Makes managers love HR tools. Great benefit set up, easy to administere time off and do reporting. If you are an up and coming company wanting to use a great solution go with Bamboohr, everyone will love it.

Cons: Stay away from the Payroll side of bamboohr! This was a huge issue for us, good thing they are not one in the same, but their 3rd party payroll that goes with bamboohr was the worst payroll experience ever. They would pay incorrect amounts, take months to fix and didn't get our employees our W2's until late February. very bad. So, use bamboohr for the HR side, DO NOT for payroll.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/09
Keith S.
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/09

"Customized for my needs!"

Comments: HR tracking with on-boarding and off-boarding tools.

Pros: Powerful HR software that can really be customized to my needs. Hiring tools, on-boarding, and off-boarding have been powerful tools for a small company looking to reduce liability without adding personnel. Customizable reports, integration with accounting, and notifications for the important things. Employee portal creates paperless enrollment in provided benefits as well as reports and access to important personal information.

Cons: It is a large financial commitment that may take some time to realize the benefits. Improvements to the mobile app would be nice as it lacks the many features that would benefit the employee.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/09
Esther Y.
Consultant
Human Resources, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/17

"Absolutely the Best HRIS!"

Comments: Absolutely a pleasant to work with!

Pros: They are just getting better and better. I am excited to see what the merger with TRAX Payroll will do. Currently I have been recommending BambooHR and TRAX combo to all of our new business clients. BambooHR is not only an eye-catching software with its beautiful UI but it does everything that an HR would need. Now that it's getting TRAX onboard, I am excited to see their last missing piece...payroll.

Cons: I do wish that there are some additional customization we can do...for example, having multiple different layers of approvers that is fully customize-able.

John T.
Social Media Director
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/27

"Great Platform For The Smaller Team"

Comments: Over, we love the platform and constant updated they were making to improve accessibility and overall UE.

Pros: We utilized BambooHR as our primary source of employee info ATS. Previous to the using them, we are spread across file folders, spreadsheets and cloud drives. This drastically simplified our lives.

Cons: Pricing seemed a bit high for our team of 9 when we first deployed it.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/27
Contact Center Supervisor
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/16

"BambooHR Use for Contact Center Supervisor"

Pros: When I first was introduced to BambooHR, our company Anyone Home Inc, was only using it to track paid time off and sick pay. As our licensing ran out with a different payroll program(Ximble) we started using it to have our hourly employees punch in and out, more features were added over time, such as on-boarding documents, exit interviews, HR documents and training files. I like the ease of navigation and how easy it was to adapt to some new feature that was added by our company.

Cons: My least favorite feature about bambooHR is that I have to use my google account(or any email account, I'm assuming?) to log into the system instead of having its own unique user name and password.

• Reviewed on 2018/10/16
Luis H.
Developer
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/18

"Easy to use and customize"

Pros: I worked on the team that implemented BambooHR and a find it very easy to get started. Also, the company offers a lot of open source software to be installed if you need to customize it someday.

Cons: The problems begin if you need to integrate the software with 3rd party systems. So we need to keep running tasks and doing workarounds to get data in sync.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/18
Morgan C.
CIO
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/17

"BambooHR transformed our team management"

Comments: BambooHR has solved our leave requests, leave tracking, org structure, reviews, and general HR management needs.

Pros: We had no HRIS before BambooHR. As a growing company we got to the point where we needed to make sure everyone had a manager, regular 1:1s, regular reviews, and career development. Bamboo has the features we needed to make this easy and stable.

Cons: BambooHR comes with the basics, but prepare to spend more for features for reviews, 1:1 tracking etc. There is an ecosystem of applications that integrate well with Bamboo but it gets pricy fast.

Sarah B.
HR/LR Manager
Utilities, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/08/25

"Implementation was very easy and the ability to customize was amazing."

Comments: More time to focus on other important functions I am responsible for and the amount of inquires we would receive from Management has dramatically decreased, as they can find the information they need by just logging into bambooHR.

Pros: Real time reporting is great and the fact that you can create your own reports in a few clicks saves a lot of time... prior to bambooHR we didn't have a system and we had to manually pull various pieces of information and create various excel spreadsheets. The on-boarding feature is also very efficient.

Cons: Would like to see the payroll side added for use in Canada. The system we currently use for processing payroll is old and do not provide any other benefits other than basically paying our employees.

• Reviewed on 2017/08/25
Danielle T.
HR Administrator
  • Reviewed on 2017/06/15

"Automates HR quickly & easily"

Comments: Ease of having all employee info at your fingertips; automating things like promotions & compensation changes; quick access to reports to provide information to higher-ups

Pros: Cloud-based HR database collects all your employee information in one spot; you can view contact information, personal information, job information, and employee documents all a mouse click away. Task lists and e-signed documents make it easy to keep track of what has been completed by who and what still needs to be done. Super robust reporting function for numbers nerds.

Cons: For some reason it doesn't automatically enroll full time employees into things like your PTO or benefits. Requires a high level of compliance by employees , otherwise things just don't happen. Only allows for 10 job postings before you have to upgrade, which means if you have several "always open" positions this is a problem.

• Reviewed on 2017/06/15
Courtney H.
Media Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/18

"Very Easy to Use & Transparent!"

Pros: Highly functional and easy to use software. I highly recommend this HR software. I really like the ability to see how many vacation days, sick days etc. you have with the easy to you calculator. This allows me to plan my vacations throughout the full year. I also think its really beneficial how you are able to see who is out of office in any given day, very transparent. The software also offers all employee contracts, benefits, and documents in a file for easy access and reference. There also is a section that includes companies policies in a simple to find location which I have found really beneficial.

Cons: There is not many cons to this software. However, I find that the mobile application isn't always very functional in terms of speed. This sometimes is not very usual in days that you are unable to come to the office and need to access the app to apply a sick/personal day to your profile. I think the app would be very useful in these times, and the speed would overall change the user experience.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/18
Nancy H.
Office & HR Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/05

"BambooHR: Great Decision!"

Comments: Excellent! So many features that I didn't know were possible.

Pros: The training and set up is what still stands out to me. I have never witnessed such support and organization in training. Others just give you the product to figure out on your own. BambooHR makes sure you know how to get the most out of the product and their ongoing support is great! Electronic signature and announcements have been huge timesavers. Rather than tracking down all of my employees, I can just create a signature template and I am alerted when it is signed and then it automatically is saved to the employees file. AMAZING!

Cons: Wish that some of the add ons were included on the packages.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/05