Spiceworks IT Help Desk Reviews

• Overall
    4,4 /5
    4,3 /5
    4,2 /5

About Spiceworks IT Help Desk

Download free IT help desk software for IT pros & sysadmins around the world in all businesses. Support & mobile apps also free.

Learn more about Spiceworks IT Help Desk

Susan I.
IT Manager
Legal Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/11

"Bets product I never paid for"

Comments: Great version we are using. Free. Since inception. They have Spicework communities too that can assist with subject you may get stuck on. Great great tool

Pros: I have been using this product for a good 14 years. Our use has been waning as we have integrated a ticket system into our Case management system. However this is has been a beast of a program. Reliable and easy for the end user to submit a ticket and easy for the tech team to review and resolve.

Cons: There really isn't too much I didn't like about this software. Maybe the worst flaw is that there is not much follow up from the program side--(although if there is I haven't found it)).

• Reviewed on 2021/02/11
Patrick C.
System Admin
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/10

"Best ticketing system"

Comments: This tool has been great for us. It’s very user friendly which was better then other ticketing systems we looked at. It’s been very beneficial to be able to keep track of our tickets. One huge benefit is the use of the mobile tool to be able to access and our modify the ticket when our users are on call

Pros: Great tool for ticketing system. Being a small company we used excel to track calls and troubleshooting with customers and we needed a better solution to keep track of all the calls and tickets created. It’s been great that we can access this in office and on our mobile device to refer to past notes in a ticket when we are on call. One benefit that we love is adding and modifying fields in the ticketing system to keep track of certain information of the customer

Cons: Having gone from tracking our own calls manually this has been a huge benefit and we haven’t noticed any downsides to using this.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/10
Jon J.
Data Services Manager
Market Research, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/25

"Spiceworks is Great!"

Comments: We got this so we could have a ticketing system for our ISMS

Pros: I love the ticketing system! They are always improving it. There is a free and a paid version which both work very well. The free version obviously does not have as many options, but it does work very well

Cons: It is not very customizable. When you add fields you cannot build a report on them (at least I can not figure it out)

• Reviewed on 2020/08/25
Amber T.
IT Project Assistant
Consumer Services, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/30

"Very User-Friendly"

Comments: It's been great. Since we've started using this (about a year ago) it has definitely improved our productivity, communication, and efficiency as an entire IT dept.

Pros: Oh, where to start! I love that anyone in our company can email a specific address that we have set up to forward from Spiceworks and it will automatically forward it to everyone on the IT team so we don't have to continue checking the actual software every 5 minutes. Also, when someone responds, it goes directly to the ticket assignee's email and we can respond from either the platform or our emails. It's also nice that it sends reminders of open tickets or things that have been untouched for a while. I like the dashboard to see the frequency of opened/closed tickets, as well as see which issues are the most prominent. The actual tickets have areas to specify the category of the issue as well as a 3rd party ticket# so it's easy to find. There is also a knowledge base that we can refer to people who have had similar problems as others in the past. And everything is in the cloud so we don't have to host anything to ensure that it's saved :) They just added a remote session option too which could come in super handy when troubleshooting an issue. Oh, and I like that it has internal as well as public notes and it saves a history of everything so can go back and revisit a closed ticket that was taken care of months ago.

Cons: The attachments are a little finicky. As in, it doesn't allow "inline" attachments (for when I want to show a screenshot in the middle of my explanation). And if I want to download a screenshot from a ticket, I have to right-click it and save (not a big deal) rather than just click on the print icon that's usually present in other attachment previews on different sites (like Gmail, per say). But honestly, I haven't really dealt with many other IT ticket help desk platforms so I don't really have anything to compare it to. The only other things I don't like are things that are user-error based. Like how if we don't update the category or the ticket type in the actual ticket, the proper stats won't show in the dashboard.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/30
Information Technology Officer
Government Administration, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/04

"Spiceworks IT Helpdesk offers great value for money. Most outstanding is the support."

Comments: The software provides a complete inventory even if stretched over multiple locations and networks; a complete ticketing system, knowledge base system and many other tools that are of good quality to manage day to day incidences and requests.
The inventory scan provides great detail of networked devices and peripherals e.g. serials, make, model, status, warranty and many more.
Customisable views allow you to quickly focus on the details necessary to troubleshoot issues.

Pros: Community forum. Personally, I consider forums a waste of time since you normally have to look for ages and still never get the answer you need. Communities are based that "someone has experienced this problem before" and is willing to share in all detail what the problem (can be awkward) and share the solution as well.
On the Spiceworks community (cheers!), we have always found answers that you usually only find on paid communities (details, scripts etc). The software (FREE!) gives you a great overview, even if you are spread over multiple locations and/or multiple networks. A complete inventory and a ticketing system that are customisable and ready to integration software and scripts. What more do you want for free?

Cons: This is definitely not the worst but it takes a bit of getting used how Spiceworks operates. Like other platforms there is a learning curve. Some integration with other 3rd party software might not be straight forward but then there is the awesome community.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/04
Racey C.
IT Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 2017/12/05

"Easily the best completely free helpdesk software out there"

Pros: I like that it works well for a small to medium sized environment, I like that it has never crashed or given me a single problem in the five years I've used it as our only help desk ticketing solution, and I like that it costs absolutely nothing. It includes some other features like network monitoring, SNMP monitoring, etc., but we've never used any of those features. If you really need that type of functionality I'd recommend going with a more robust solution built for that purpose. All we needed was something to handle support request tickets and it has been great for that. If you have a very large environment you'll probably want to go with a more robust solution, but for our 100+ users this has been completely fine.

Cons: If I had to find something to complain about, I guess I would say that I don't care for the fact that its HTML based and is rendered in a browser window. I'm sure many people don't find this a con, I'm just personally used to working with an application installed locally and find the interface to be a little laggy compared to the snappy performance of something like Autotask. Not much to complain about in a free solution though.

Omar G.
IT Server Administrator
Plastics, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/03

"Excellent Help Desk, Easy To Implement"

Comments: We needed a help desk that was not only to record computer problems, but we also wanted to help us have greater visibility of the IT environment, computers that fail more, more common failures in the equipment and take advantage of that information to improve. Is very easy to implement, has integration with active directory and the visibility it gives you of the IT environment. The web site has a very complete guide for its installation and deployment. The tool goes beyond a simple help desk as you can have there Your inventory of equipment (hardware and software) and for example uninstall applications from the help desk.

Pros: It is a very complete help desk allows you to have a great visibility of what is happening with the statistics of category breakdown, work by engineer, attention time, etc.. In addition you can create an internal knowledge base, allows you to have your inventory of equipment, reports, purchase records associated with a ticket, etc.. It is very easy to use for the end user because he only has to send a mail to a specific email address and his ticket is registered in the system. It is very stable and reliable.

Cons: It takes time to adjust it to your needs, but it has a great forum where everyone helps you.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/03
Google Trusted Independent Photographer
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/12

"Perfect starter IT Help Desk software with additional tools for Small Business sysadmins"

Comments: Our small 3-person IT team needed a basic and easy-to-use helpdesk software for our technicians and end-users. Spiceworks was easy to install and meets all of our requirements, with a little bit of feature bloat (but it's free!). While I am sure we could pay money for a more customizable, modular, ad-free system, its simplicity and reliability is incredibly valuable in our IT department.

Pros: -Offers basic helpdesk features - email to ticket, email notifications, simple reports/metrics - and a simple interface for L1+ technicians. No training is required
-Knowledge Base is a great place for documentation, and to refer users for duplicate tickets
-No frills, easy to setup, requires virtually no maintenance when hosted on a Windows server (we do not use the cloud version)

Cons: -Inventory and Network Monitor just seem to add bloat for the minimal usefulness that they are - we can do a better job with other free tools like The Dude
-Paying to remove ads still won't reclaim any screen space that they take up, just a replacement with your own graphic - I don't believe this is worth it

• Reviewed on 2019/02/12
Paul L.
IT Director
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
    3,5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2015/05/27

"Spiceworks - Full Featured IT Suite, Free"

Pros: Spiceworks has an excellent product that is continuously evolving. The full featured suite give any IT professional the ability to use one module, several modules, or all the modules to meet their needs. New versions come out at least once a year with updates more frequently. Part of the evolution has been to a hosted, cloud based solution as an option for IT professionals who don't want to pay to host the server in their own environment. The product is and always will be free. The online forum boasts more than 2 million members with the employees actively involved in the social portal. The vendors that are part of the community are very helpful and many have a dedicated employee who actively monitors their portion of the forum, ready to help. Finally, the company hosts a great convention every year in Austin Texas which is always very well attended.

Cons: Spiceworks moves the product forward, but sometimes they don't come back to the basics of what makes the software great. Adding new features can be a plus, but enhancing old features is very important as well.

Aaron R.
IT Support
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/06

"Spiceworks Help Desk is very user friendly and is a great cost effective ticketing system."

Comments: A cost effective IT HelpDesk ticketing system, that allows our business to track issues, increase productivity and keep track of our IT inventory.

Pros: Very easy to use and the initial setup and normal operation is user friendly enough to where even a novice user could get it working for their needs. When it comes to Help Desk software, you can't beat the low price of FREE! There is a large pool of add-ons and user created plugins that will fill in the blanks to add additional functionality. If you get stuck on an issue while using Spiceworks Help Desk, the official email support and user forums are very helpful. Helps you keep track of inventory. Overall if you are looking for a cost effective HelpDesk ticketing solution for a small/medium business, you can't go wrong here.

Cons: Users have reported that on very large networks the initial network scan can take days to complete. Official support is limited to email or user forums. You can't hire an expert through Spiceworks to help set up or configure Spiceworks Help Desk to meet your needs. It is up to you to figure it out.

• Reviewed on 2018/06/06
Matthew C.
Software Developer
Construction
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/12

"Fantastic IT Help Desk Solution"

Comments: It has been a good way to track tickets and gives us the basic information as to how many tickets we are closing per week

Pros: Myself and my team have been using Spiceworks for the last 2 years now as our Help Desk Ticketing software solution. We have now also recently changed over to their cloud version of this software which incredibly is also free and still have zero issues with the software. To date, it has never let us down. Spiceworks software delivers all the functionality we need out of a Help Desk Solution and is still running strong for us. We manage over a 500 tickets daily through this software and have never found to have had any technical issues with it.

Cons: I do however have only one small issue and that is I wish it had better sorting of submitted tickets and improved search capabilities. Otherwise this software is amazing and only look forward to any future updates they may have for us.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/12
Richard W.
IT Mgr
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/12/05

"Free, Reliable and Easy to use Helpdesk"

Comments: Easy, Reliable and Free Helpdesk Software

Pros: We love Spiceworks Helpdesk. It is so easy to use, feature rich, and reliable. It allows our user to submit a helpdesk via e-mail or by using our spiceworks helpdesk portal. We have multiple technicians and departments, so once a ticket comes in it can be assigned to a certain technician or department automatically based on rules we assign. Certain technicians can see all tickets while others can only see their own, which is good for security and privacy issues. You can add notes and attachments to tickets and also add KB article or replies you post frequently so you don't have to retype common replies or solutions over and over again.

Cons: Sometimes it will run into an issue where the spiceworks page will be down but usually it is easy to resolve or a quick reboot will fix it.

Doriann M.
Analista de Sistemas
201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/25

"An excellent trip to the organization, control and monitoring of my company LAN."

Comments: I get control of the company's computer park and with software's functionalities I was able to get all the information about their life time. It also allowed me to carry the statistics of activities and faults in LAN allowing me to study their numbers and attack the problems with greater precision.

Pros: It is a Swiss Army knife for network administrators allowing inventory, equipment monitoring and failure tracking and activities within the same package. It is great to be able to have everything you need within reach of an IP address, in addition to being able to receive as many notifications as you want and of what you want within the operation of the network.

Cons: The hardware requirements are many, leaving out all those equipment with few features. Although software as such does not merit investment, it concentrates on the necessary hardware.

• Reviewed on 2018/06/25
Director of Information Technology
Individual & Family Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/12

"Spiceworks is awesome!"

Comments: It's amazing that the software is free. We were able to implement a proper help desk system with all the features we needed at no cost. The Spiceworks online community is amazing. The knowledge available there is as good as any other source on the Internet.

Pros: It's free. The help desk functionality does exactly what it's supposed to do. Users can submit tickets via email or through a portal, and support staff are notified and can acknowledge the tickets right away. When ticket updates are entered promptly, it provides excellent visibility into the life of a trouble ticket. The Spiceworks community is amazing. It's our first stop when searching for answers to tough problems.

Cons: We occasionally have issues with the system not checking email for new support tickets. A restart of the software solves the problem.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/12
Nikki T.
Digital Operator
Printing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/13

"Lots of features for a help desk ticket system"

Comments: I use Spiceworks IT Help Desk at work as a ticket system. It creates an individual ticket for each customer when they have an issue, and organises all the communications with this user with this individual ticket system number. It has really made us more efficient as rather than having to reply individually and try to keep track of emails with a customer, it is all stored within one system.

Pros: I like that Spiceworks IT Help Desk lets me work with customers through a ticket system, so I can stay organised versus answering and tracking individual emails. It also gives a notification when there is a new ticket or a message that has been waiting over 24 hours.

Cons: It is a little difficult to use and figure out the menus of the helpdesk system, and also every page seems to have to reload and does not work very quickly.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/13
Javier victor marian B.
Network Security Auditor
Public Relations & Communications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/18

"Great tools for manage IT Tickets."

Comments: Well I been out of level 1 Sysadmin for a couple of years, but I'm back. I started on a new company that I'm doing level 3 but eventually level 1. They had already in production Spiceworks. I used to use this tool long time ago, and starting using it again I can easy see the improvements.

Pros: Its somehow easy to use, as IT Sysadmin level 3, I find it somehow easy to use. But when we gave access to non technical persons they take several days to start getting comfortable with them. Its quick, has a lot of options and we have it integrated with emails. So, just sending an email to an account will generate the ticket and even assign the IT based on the CC. thats a great time-saving option and super easy for end users to open a ticket. Imaging ask an end user to go to a page, do several clicks, fill a form, to open a ticket about change the computer time. They will never do that. So we love spiceworks.

Cons: Not so easy to use for non tech people. Even if you go to the home page and log in, its hard to find the IT Help Desk section, you need to give them the direct link to it, or they will expend an hour to find it. (happen several times).

• Reviewed on 2019/07/18
Marvin P.
Computer Technician 1
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/02

"Great ticketing/inventory software with a great support community as well."

Comments: Great software, it has helped us to streamline out ticketing and get things done faster.

Pros: Honestly, Everything! This is great software and it's hard to believe that its free to use. as with anything there are going to be things here and there that some do not like, but the overall Idea behind this software and what it does and what it allows you to do is absolutely great!

Cons: I honestly have nothing bad to say about this software. I just really really like it. I suppose if I am forced to come up with some kind of con I would have to say it would be nice to have a fourth Priority level. One above High such as Urgent. but other than that. This is really a well thought out and well designed "IMO" piece of kit!

• Reviewed on 2018/07/02
Dan C.
Receptionist
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 2015/06/17

"Spiceworks Changed How I communicate"

Pros: My favorite part of Spiceworks is how user-friendly it is. As an individual with an average knowledge of technology, I have found that Spiceworks makes it easy for me find answers to questions that I have about different software or hardware. Another part of the website that I like is how much of a community it is. After a while, you notice familiar users posting on the various threads. I see the community focus as being a huge asset to Spiceworks since you get to know the people who are repeatedly writing on the site.

Cons: I have been frustrated at my job as an administrative assistant for a technology company when using the helpdesk portion of the software. At times it was slow and would easily freeze up. This could be maddening at times because of how much I needed to work through our tickets to see what work had been completed.

• Reviewed on 2015/06/17
Matt P.
Director of Technology
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/17

"A great free help desk package"

Comments: We've been using Spiceworks for our help desk for several years now. It's great for our small IT department by helping us track issues and assign them to the appropriate tech. When our users have an issue, they send an email to the help desk address. Spiceworks then picks up the messages and creates a ticket. We were able to customize the ticket templates to our liking as well. It's really handy and you can't beat the price!

Pros: You can't beat the price! The web interface and phone apps are pretty decent too.

Cons: It doesn't offer as many features as some of the paid help desk offerings and occasionally the ads are distracting.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/17
Andre B.
System Analyst
Apparel & Fashion, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/18

"4 years of happines"

Comments: The benefits that system brought to us is for sure our best experience with the system.

Pros: We moved to spiceworks about 4 year ago. What we most like is how the helpdesk and the network monitoring is helping our daily tasks. We can easily check the computer in our network, find the apps installed and let customers to enter their tickets synced with they machine. This reduces a lot our effort to give our customers a good quality of support

Cons: We are using the free version and the ads are really the problem, but we can leave with it.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/18
Rob D.
Systems Administrator
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Reviewed on 2015/05/27

"Free Help Desk? Yes, please. PC Inventory could use some work."

Pros: One thing that sets Spiceworks apart from their competitors is the responsiveness of the support staff - which is free! If you have a problem, they'll email you back usually within the hour with a response, and will help you until the issue is fixed. This is more than I have experienced with various paid solutions over the years. For some reason, this just works. The Help Desk is exceptional - again, considering this is a free product, it is quite extensible and has many options out of the box. Now, it's not an ITIL certified application, but for most SMB's, this will do the trick out of the box. You can literally be up and running within 10 minutes of install.

Cons: Sometimes, the direction of the development for the various modules (purchasing, inventory, etc.) aren't quite in sync, so you'll see some development progress quickly in some areas, while others still look as though they've been untouched for the past 3 or 4 major revisions. I think since the company has increased in size so quickly, there is some code creep which has occurred over time. I do believe that the devs are trying to reel the codebase in, but right now, it's kind of all over the place.

Eric K.
IT Director
Primary/Secondary Education
  • Reviewed on 2015/05/29

"Spiceworks fits the bill!"

Pros: Spiceworks is a HIGHLY competitive inventory management and helpdesk software (vendor). The community is invaluable as a point-of-contact for anything and everything IT-related. Many Google searches for support topics even bring back Spiceworks community discussions as the top 1, 2, or even 3 results. Spiceworks has built a product that is ad-supported and community-driven. I absolutely love Spiceworks!

Cons: My only real complaint is the ads, which can be removed by purchasing the premium product. Of course, the product is ad-driven so there's really no cause for complaint.

• Reviewed on 2015/05/29
Jordan D.
IT Manager
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/08

"SNMP monitoring made simple and cost effective"

Comments: Network Monitor is one of my favorite tools from Spiceworks. It allows me to see how my switches and servers are doing from a convenient dashboard. When there is an issue, notifications to email alert you of the problem for quick and easy response. Network Monitor can be resource intensive if you are not tuning the software properly, and running on Windows is not necessarily helping. Compared to other similar tools, Spiceworks Network Monitor is by far the simplest and easiest to get up and running. If you are managing a small or mediem business, Spiceworks Network Monitor is a great tool that will result in time and cost savings.

Pros: Inexpensive and simple SNMP monitoring
easy to download and setup within minutes
Monitor multiple devices from a variety of manufactures
notifications

Cons: Installable only on Windows
a little top heavy
hasn't evolved much since conception
notifications are aggressive and needs a lot of time to tune properly

• Reviewed on 2018/10/08
Kevin L.
Partner
Telecommunications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/23

"Great Free Helpdesk Software"

Comments: Highly recommend Spiceworks Helpdesk, great product with my kind of price - FREE!!

Pros: Free is Free, so what can I say, it can also record and create an inventory of all items on your network.
Fantastic saving that allows you to move helpdesk budget elsewhere.

Cons: Only downside with free is the ads and also the emails that you get trying to sell you stuff, but as long as you use a spare email address for it. None of this should be an issue.

• Reviewed on 2018/10/23
Ian A.
Head of Computer Services
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/05

"Superb product"

Comments: If you are looking for an all-round software package with a decent helpdesk system, inventory management, numerous IT tools and a great community on a limited budget, Spiceworks should be your first stop. While there may be other packages that work better on individual sections, you are unlikely to find another complete solution for so little.

Pros: Excellent set of features
Amazing community

Cons: Can sometimes be a little slow
Ad-supported