Microsoft OneNote Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall

About Microsoft OneNote

It is a creative project management solution that helps businesses create notes, add annotations, share ideas, and more.

Learn more about Microsoft OneNote

Student
Computer Hardware, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/10

"Many problems for a renowned product"

Comments: I would give this a 3/5 star but considering how well-known and popular it is, then I can't give it more than a 2 star. It's ok.
Note this is the windows Microsoft Windows 10 version which is not the same as the Office 365 Onenote 2016 ... let alone others.
MS Whiteboard has issues but is much better overall.

Pros: Pros: Wide range of functionality. You can convert to different file types and insert files into it rather easily. It has great cloud support and is overall easy to access.

Cons: Cons:
There is great support for onenote on the web, but at least 90% of the searches I've done to troubleshoot an issue or functionality apply to one type of Onenote and not another... for some reason. I've spent many hours troubleshooting options that don't exist for one type or another. Example:
The ink-to-math is not present in this version. The ink-to-draw is not present in the office 365 version. Why?
There is a view option of fitting what's been drawn to the page width which will also show up if printed to a .pdf. What's bad is that there is no option for displaying where the pages end. I saw a comment from a developer about this saying that it would be too difficult. But I know they could figure out a way to do that. There are so many option. Just have the length of each page increase if a user increases the width to the right. That could cause issues if the user wants the content displayed on certain pages. So, have the page separators actually splice the content shown and add whitespace if page width/length grows ... or shrink/grow content of pages accordingly like a picture. Or, when in "page view mode" like this, warm the user if they are trying to grow pages sizes ... or just have a fixed page size in this mode!
My main issue: Why it is so glitchy with an epen. If I tap the screen it wants me to type - this happens a lot when I'm scrolling and not tapping also. The developers didn't input an option to make the pen the default and disable tap to keyboard.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/10
Patient Care Technician
Human Resources, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/06/03

"Good for taking notes and project management"

Comments: I use OneNote to keep track of weekly bullets and accomplishments. It is useful for when I have to draft my end-of-year accomplishments for my annual performance review.

Pros: I started using OneNote a few years ago and it was very easy to learn and become familiar with. Before using OneNote, all of my notes were in various notepads and were disorganized. OneNote helped me organize everything and put it all in one place.

Cons: OneNote is a quite basic tool with a simple purpose. For some, it may not add much utility over other note-taking and project management software.

Phil B.
Director of IT
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/27

"OneNote for every note!"

Comments: I use onenote for business meetings for note taking, tracking takeaways and sharing them with the whole team. We all have access to the same notes, same takeaways and can all add to the meeting notes. I also like to use it for keeping track of information I might come across that I want to follow up on at some point, putting my ideas down so I don't forget them. Clipping articles/webpages so I can refer back to it. Create to-do lists.

Pros: If you are working in the Microsoft eco system OneNote is a must. Taking notes and keeping track of information is simple since it is tied into every Office/O365 application; Sharepoint, Word, Outlook even when browsing the web. Can be used for note taking during business meetings, training/school, planning vacations, shopping list. Uses are limit less. Best of all you can do it from what ever device you have with you and your notes will be available to you everywhere.

Cons: Onenote is such a powerful tool that it can be overwhelming to get a grasp on all that it can do and how to best use it for your situation.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/27
Clay K.
Network Manager
Education Management, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/08/27

"MS OneNOte Review"

Comments: If you are looking for note-taking software, OneNote is the one for you! Easy to use and makes it very easy to stay organized!

Pros: OneNote is an incredible note-taking software! The best part is how It syncs with my phone, iPad, and computer, so not only can I always take notes (or jot down ideas/thoughts), but I always have my notes on me and can reference them whenever I need without having to pull out a notebook or the device I originally took the note on.)

Cons: I have not found any cons to this software. I strictly use it for note-taking, and I know some people use it for project management and have issues. But the note-taking side is very seamless.

• Reviewed on 2021/08/27
Miguel R.
Miguel R.
Research Assistant
Hospital & Health Care, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/04/05

"Highly sophisticated note taking software with several functionalities"

Comments: Microsoft OneNote is a very user friendly and easy to use platform with a variety of functionalities that make the process of taking notes much easier and allow you to collaborate with others as well. It is very efficient when taking fast paced notes and has a variety of tools to make the process as smooth as possible.

Pros: Mircrosoft Onenote is equipped with a variety of functionalities that go beyond note taking purposes. One of my favorite tools to use is the conversion of images to free text and editing the text. Also, it offers the conversion of audios and videos to free text and I find this to be extremely helpful when taking meetings notes in a conference or even for classroom purposes. Moreover, it provides a variety of tool to edit the text entered into the notes making it look more professional and detailed. Microsoft one note use varies depending on the desire function ,therefore, I highly recommend this software for office setting purposes.

Cons: The software's' storage space is very limited and therefore, I believe that it needs to be improve as well s enhancing the PC software version since it can be very slow most of the time. Importing/exporting catalogs messes up the format of the notes but it might be due to a malfunction on my side.

• Reviewed on 2021/04/05
Software Engineer
Banking, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/02

"Shareable Note Taking App for Organization and Productivity!"

Comments: This application has improved my productivity and efficiency significantly. I use this in my personal and professional work environments. I also have the application on my phone which is so handy. Most note taking apps are not as organized as this is. I have also found OneNote to offer the most features in terms of annotates, sharing, and adding other forms of media to notes. I will be using OneNote for the rest of my career I believe.

Pros: The most impactful features are the sharing capabilities with your team. It allows you to share and edit notes with anyone. They can make real time edits on your note and it's extremely effective at building team communication and collaboration. I also value the incredible organizational structure of notebooks, sections, and pages. I am able to keep everything separated and it's very easy to use. You can also insert audio clips, drawings, PDF printouts, and more!

Cons: Some PDF's are too large to insert as a printout document, so I would really appreciate the developers allowing larger files to be inserted as a PDF printout. That is really my only concern.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/02
Victor A.
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/09

"OneNote for all! Long Live Microsoft OneNote"

Pros: The TCO is very attractive since this handy app comes with MS Office 365 or 2016, older versions has it too.
The App allows you to freely add notes handwriting and store images within the content, and the most exciting thing is that you can use in your computer, on the web, on your phone, tablet or wherever you go you can sync your notes. Sharing notebooks grants a plus to this app for fast and easy collaboration in real time with others. Even if they do not have the app themselves.

Cons: I'd like that the app could have the option to save files of greater than 100MB in OneNote. This would allow the use of embdedded video for instance.
Rather than the File storage limit I didn't found any other negative aspect.
Improve first-use sync/download time and experience, sometimes gets lagged on the first sync or under LTE bad connections using smartphones.
On Android can crash sometimes if the app is not up to date with the latest releases.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/09
Bridgette S.
Director Client Services
Oil & Energy, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/31

"Simple and Efficient"

Comments: Great product, useful for both personal and business needs! Would highly recommend to the public.

Pros: 1) All your meeting minutes, engagement notes and general notes are located in 1 easy to reach location
2) Pages can easily be sub-divided and color coded, making it effortless to organize your notes, and stay that way
3) The platform's color scheme is fantastic lets be honest!

Cons: 1) I am not a huge fan of the lack of connectivity to Microsoft Teams. I have now worked at two jobs where we were forced to delete the Notebooks and start over due to an error or a corrupted OneNote Tab within Teams
2) Its a bit cumbersome in the mobile format on the app. Still gets the job done but it could be improved
3) I would appriciate the ability to add more "tabs" before the section tab. I know it sounds odd, but in One Note you can only add a section tab and a pages tab after, I would like a 3rd level of differentation.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/31
Alex T.
Process Analyst
Hospital & Health Care, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/03

"Robust, Quick, Multi-Functional"

Comments: By far, the most robust note-taking app I've yet encountered. More than you need if all you want to do is take notes, but excellent if you want to do much, much more.

Pros: Best search feature I've encountered in a note-taking app. Lightning-fast search functionality. The search functionality is so good, two of our teams use this as an information repository. Handwriting feature set is exceptional. Upload from mobile to desktop is speedy. Love the ability to drop entire spreadsheets or emails, etc., into a note and include a screenshot or even some of the source app's functionality.

Cons: Notebook>Tab>Note structure is a little unwieldy, but you get the hang of it.
Because you can fit so much data into a single note, downloads to mobile devices can be slow.
Cloud-based usage is frustratingly laggy, but this is true of all MS products.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/03
Event Logistics Manager
Hospitality, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/06/03

"Useful Tool for Everyday Use"

Pros: I love using OneNote for to do lists and helpful information. I used to do a lot of these things in Word but the list would get really long and I would have to shift things around constantly. OneNote lets me type and paste information anywhere on the page and similar to a binder, I can have different sections and pages that are easy to access. We also have developed some shared resources in OneNote that our larger team can review and access.

Cons: It's really a great product but it's not super well known amongst people I know. My only other comment is that sometimes things move automatically because it doesn't like for things/boxes to overlap.

Scott H.
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/25

"Great Notetaking Tool and Research Repsitory"

Comments: Highly recommend that you use it frequently. It is my go-to note taking device and allows me to easily organize my stuff in a way that mimics a paper based note system while getting the features of cloud based storage

Pros: I love the fact that I can manage multiple notebooks for work and personal use. I use OneNote to keep track of User Recommendations/Feedback, future tech enhancements to our site, projects etc. On a personal front I keep articles I want to read, lists of books that are recommended to me etc. Its a great clipboard.

Cons: There aren't a lot of downsides. It would be great if they would start to include a clipping tool for other browsers like Chrome, but I think that is unlikely.

• Reviewed on 2018/06/25
Gena R.
HR Director
1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/19

"One Note is a great organization tool!"

Comments: It's great for school use too and you can use it from a creative perspective and draw etc. also.

Pros: Not enough people know how great One Note really is and how much it can help you organize your life. In a work setting, one note is able to import your emails so you can seamlessly organize any to-do's or meetings throughout the day. I use it for conversations with employees, so I can always have a tracking method for any conversations that took place. It's really intuitive and simple to use.

Cons: There's nothing I don't like about this product. It really is versatile and simple and Microsoft has made it easily transferable to their other products too.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/19
Mario P.
Cargo Sales Manager
Airlines/Aviation, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/04

"Maybe the best ever taking notes existing so far"

Comments: Overall, I can say that this application really helped me a lot especially with my daily tasks and activities. I would definitely continue to enjoy using this app and recommend it to my friends and colleagues.

Pros: I really like this app. It's so easy to use, so convenient and very reliable. I can take notes anytime and anywhere I am. For my age and not that tech savvy person, I can say that it's really intuitive, very simple and yet very helpful when it comes on listing down important messages. Amazing app! I love it!

Cons: Maybe the least that I like about this application is that sometimes, it tends to load longer than usual especially when I restart my device. I'm not really sure if it's the application itself having the issue or maybe the connection I have. But other than that, it works amazing!

• Reviewed on 2020/09/04
Kenneth A.
Graphic Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/13

"Microsoft OneNote: Acting like a leader"

Comments: When one size fits all in Automated Notetaking/organization Software App, EverNote isn't free, but Microsoft OneNote is - free in two versions and works across all operating systems, flawlessly. Did I say, FREE? And free is the least of the features included in Microsoft's state-of-the-art notetaking and organization OneNote. Free as a stand-alone, or packaged in Microsoft Office 365 which includes everything from Word through skype and more.

Pros: For any business, school, or personal use, quick uploading and organization of unlimited multipage notes have never been more user-friendly and reliable than Microsoft OneNote app and software. No matter what platform the note was taken or written. And, since one version is an online app while another can be downloaded onto the desktop, all notes remain in one place and follows the user wherever there's an internet connection. Last, but not least it's Free, the perfect companion for MS Word files, Excel, etc. I'm always in need of the notes and research references I product and save from online sources, whether, in PDF or some other formate, constant availability is my lifeline for school, personal and business endeavors.

Cons: Synchronization between OneNote desktop and the online version would blow EverNote off the map. But since it doesn't, a few extra clicks to save in both versions solves the problem.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/13
Jesse J.
Regional Solutions Manager
Construction, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/02

"The best note-taking app I've used (and I've tried a lot)"

Pros: Text and handwriting in photos can be searched for. It automatically skew-corrects and color-corrects camera photos of a slideshow projection. People write amazing plug-ins for it. I use this hourly at home and at work, for keeping track of all kinds of information, including collaborating with my family and team members on the same notebook. It's awesome

Cons: There isn't a built-in way to view notes by date created or edited, but there are third-party plug-ins that help with that. It requires OneDrive (or Sharepoint, Teams, etc.) to collaborate efficiently, which I'm not a big fan of

• Reviewed on 2018/10/02
Jesús noehi P.
Jesús noehi P.
Helpdesk Manager & Sysadmin
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/10

"Taking notes made easy"

Comments: Its been fairly good, for my line of work I have to create lots of user guides, and OneNote simplified a lot that task. Also, in meetings i take lots of notes and I can easily organize them.

Pros: I liked how taking notes with pictures, graphics and more has become a lot more easier since I started using OneNote, it has simplified a lot of my work when dealing with creating usage guides and such.

Cons: I havent been able to find a easy way to share data to another coworker. It would be awesome if it where possible that several people could edit at the same time.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/10
Jean claude U.
Jean claude U.
Freelancer
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/05/12

"Sure review of Microsoft OneNote"

Comments: I began using OneNote months ago, and it is really the kind of software I’ve been looking for as a tool to reliably write, store and keep notes. Before I used to use different functions that existed but they were notoriously unreliable. After coming along with OneNote I use it everyday to store my notes, passwords, work instructions, brainstorming ideas from books and articles I read and many more, OneNote is a game changer.

Pros: *OneNote reliably store notes, and you don’t have to worry about losing your sticky or having trouble finding where you stored files on computer. *OneNote allows collaboration and security by sharing your notebook with specific people, and allows you to be very well organized by setting up sections, pages, and additional notebook. *One note is very dynamic and that's great. It can save written texts, screenshots,,which makes it a far better version of a paper book

Cons: *It would be great if the cloud version had all the robust tools available in the desktop version.
*5GB free storage is good but not best compared to what OneNote can do I mean due to the best work it does, we should have more storage like 15GB or more

• Reviewed on 2021/05/12
Gavin P.
SVP
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/01

"A perfect product in every way"

Pros: It's so easy to use--especially the "quick note" tool in the bottom right of your Windows screen to quickly make a note w/one click. It's also great how you can copy/paste anything (documents, images, weblinks) into your OneNote documents, and it's easy to organize your notes.

Cons: Sometimes when you have more than one OneDrive/Office account, on the iPhone the credentials for one of your accounts seem to get corrupted and you can't always switch between accounts without deleting and re-adding your second account.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/01
Chandra S.
Chandra S.
Insurance, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/07/26

"Microsoft All-in-One Note"

Comments: I love OneNote. It's makes it easy to keep things I've documented in one place. I can share what I want from it whenever needed and only allow them to do what I want them to

Pros: I love that this is able to be used as a single user or can be used in a collaborative setting. I love that when sharing among colleagues, all could be updating at the same time

Cons: The one thing that can be very frustrating is how often this will freeze and/or crash. I can be in the middle of working in it and all of a sudden, it will.crash

• Reviewed on 2021/07/26
Egori B.
network security coordinator
Telecommunications, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/12

"A good tool for day to day"

Comments: It is a daily use tool for team projects, which can be very useful for team work

Pros: I like it a lot and I use it every day, I recommend it a lot for the use of notebooks, manuals and that we can archive in the documents that can be, edited, deleted by the users that you allow such access. I also like it because it is very easy to use because it has a graphical interface similar to a Word document. You can also include tab (pages), to carry out the order of your daily tasks.

Cons: I do not really have many things that I do not like, I can only note that when the application is installed and two people at the same time try to edit a document this produces an error

• Reviewed on 2018/09/12
Cory S.
Sr. Manager of IT Solutions & Development
Computer Software, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/06

"Notes on Steroids!"

Comments: Just Use IT!!!!!!!!

Pros: You go to millions of meetings and notes are essential to know what on earth the take away is for that meeting; USE ONENOTE! OneNote is like your notebook when you were in highschool and you doodled all over the pages but still knew where the everything was because of the tabs well in OneNote you can do the same thing!

Cons: Not many in my opinion. It's so easy to use that my niece uses it and she's 10! I find that anyone in any industry can use this software successfully.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/06
Physical Therapy Technician
Medical Practice, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/05

"Great way to take notes"

Comments: I have been using this software for about 2 years now for school. I like it because my classes use PDFs instead of powerpoints so I can download the PDFs and insert them into one note and type under the PDF slides. It is also nice to have the pictures and my own notes all in one place.

Pros: I love that I can download class PowerPoints/PDF files and then type into them with one note. It makes note taking so much easier because everything is in one place. I love that you can also draw and add pictures if needed. It is great for all kinds of learners.

Cons: I think it can be a little intimidating at first. I think a tutorial on how to use it would have made it less intimidating.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/05
PhD student
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/16

"Useful tool for organizing your notes"

Comments: Overall I like the tool, it is my routine to use it for the courses and study. Recommend it to the students who are taking notes in the laptop/computer and want to be able to view the notes at any device.

Pros: I like that OneNote can organize the notes into different notebook and label them. It's very easy to find things I have written down by the labels and word search.

Cons: Sometimes it takes time to load the pages. When I paste images to the notes, I have to wait a while for the images to show up.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/16
Bill N.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/23

"I LOVE OneNote!"

Comments: Any chance I get I'm happy to show people my notes in OneNote. I've got a number of books and keep EVERYTHING there. The fact that it syncs across devices and I can pull up notes from my phone is amazing and impressive.

Pros: Syncs across devices
Let's me keep EVERYTHING note wise.
Very customizable search
Integrates with Outlook for meeting notes.

Cons: There's both a touch and desktop version for Windows 10. That's weird.
You can't use strikethrough font on the mobile versions.
You can't start with lined paper on the mobile versions.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/23
Paingset A.
Freelancer
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/08/07

"Awesome Product among Others"

Comments: Despite all that good and bad sides of it, I still love OneNote. They are my go-to solution to organize my notes and small files that are important. A powerful software at that. Simple, effective and can be used in all aspects of your career and personal life.

Pros: Simple Interface and few but useful tab to work on. If you use Microsoft products for some time now, this will be a very good user-friendly software. You can organize your files with ease. You will definitely love this.

Cons: There are some functions to be improved, of course, just like the other softwares. I had some issues with creating new notes in it as it gave me internet connection required warning and such. Printing the notes can be a hassle sometimes too. It required some more features to be added and I believe the journey will go a long way.

• Reviewed on 2021/08/07