Square for Retail Reviews

• Overall
    4,7 /5
    4,7 /5
    4,4 /5

About Square for Retail

Whether you sell online or in store, Square for Retail can work for your retail business no matter your size or style.

Learn more about Square for Retail

Janet M.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/13

"Great Point of sale system"

Comments: Awesome and after using two other point of sale systems we have had no issues with the system going down. Very reliable.

Pros: Easy to use! Download the App and get setup. I just recently bought their Square Register and it is awesome. Customer service will help you get the right APP for your business.

Cons: Been using their credit card device for well over a year and have never had any issues. There isn’t one thing i don’t like.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/13
Coree C.
Fashion Retailer
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/18

"Perfect On-the-Go Payment Solution!"

Comments: When I first began using Square, it was simply for fundraisers. My husband and I would participate in events, and we would allow patrons to make donations to the charity we were fundraising for. Now, as I begin designing my online store for home decor and crafts that I sell, there was no guessing on where I would have my store set up. Square has truly made it that easy to work with, that I suggest using them to everyone I know!

Pros: I absolutely LOVE the ease of use of Square! The app allows you to literally set up your shop in mere minutes, and then allows you to input your products with prices for an easy tap to add it to your customer's cart. I especially love the Square business card that holds all my funds, which makes keeping business money separate from family funds so much easier!

Cons: I honestly cannot think of anything that I do not love about this software. It is designed in a way that allows even the least techy person to set up their store and products, and go through a checkout seamlessly.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/18
Mayela L.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/29

"The simplest payment processing system"

Comments: I have a small a small business and the square software works well for my needs

Pros: The software is very easy to install. The pairing of the software with either the magstripe or the contactless reader is quite fast. Processing payments is a breeze and both readers can be used on the go or a set location.

Cons: I don’t have any problems with the software itself. It would be nice to have a better rate for card processing.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/29
Kathryn B.
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/26

"Awesome Product"

Comments: Overall, I am very satisfied it seems they have thought of everything when it comes to this app. They also have fantastic customer service if you need to call them with questions. I started my business last year and square has been fantastic to use for pop up's. Processing payments is a breeze and I have had very small issues that were resolved quickly and with ease.

Pros: I love the app that goes with this product. I hold many pop up events for my shop and the square is fantastic for this. Adding inventory and processing payments is fantastic. I set up the app in very little time and thought it would take so much longer. I really like being able to use it with my phone and ipad and it has made payments so much easier. I will only use this software for my pop up shops.

Cons: Sometimes I have wifi issues, but they have a great feature that will still accept payments offline. So even though its a pain, I still receive payment later.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/26
Nate F.
Music, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/08/09

"I have mixed feelings. I like the look/feel of the old app better. It seemed more user friendly."

Pros: I like the ability to transfer inventory from one store to another. I like the ability to have employees clock-in/clock-out to keep track of pay and what items a specific employee sells. I like the ability to adjust quantities from the app instead of just the dashboard.

Cons: I don't like that I can't view another store's inventory from the app. Very often, I find myself saying, "We don't have that in-stock here, but I know it's in-stock at our other location." It'd be very helpful to be able to type in an item and view quantity in-stock for all locations. I also HATE that there are not "tickets" available anymore. I own a music store that offers instrument repairs and we also have special orders. For instrument repairs - the amount is variable depending on what needs done and I also notate the transaction with the instrument type, brand, serial number - what parts were used, and what was done under the "Quantity and Notes" section. I don't want to have to look up that information and type into a transaction with the customer standing at the register. In the other app, I could do all of that when no one was in the store and save it as a ticket. Then when they come into the store, all I had to do was pull up the ticket and they were good to go. Same with special orders. I don't want to add inventory into Square, assign it a price, add the SKU, put it into a category, set the quantity, etc., if I'm not going to STOCK the item. So for special orders, I like to just type in the information under "Custom Amount," but I do like to notate the transaction under "Quantity and Notes" with the title and SKU so I can look back and see what it was. I don't want to do that typing when a customer arrives, so I prefer to save it as a ticket. Now I can't do that.

Keturah S.
Executive Assistant
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/18

"Simple and easy to use"

Comments: My experience with it has been very good. To the point that I have no need or desire to change it. I can save peoples data on file to make that easier for them. I can run necessary reports as needed. I could do more with it however we really don't have the need for it.

Pros: I use this for 2 purposes, 1) for our synagogue's gift shop and sales 2) as an option for our members to submit their tithes and offerings. I have both the simple square reader that I can use from my iphone as well as the stabilized system that holds the ipad with the card swiper and chip reader attachment. It is just so easy to use. I also like that the funds are moved to our accounts with out me having to move it or request it to be moved. I also like that the fee is taken out first then the amount is deposited rather that the full amound being deposited and a fee taken out monthly. It just simplifies it.

Cons: I really don't have any complaints about it. I have used it before in my personal business and recommended it for the synagogue. There was a time that you would have had to invest in a credit card machine that was much more expensive. I am glad that something like square came along.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/18
Tahnee E.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/08/09

"Love Square! I've been using it a year and am very happy with everything!"

Pros: I love the integration with Big Commerce so I can easily sell online and in store with inventory syncs immediately. We do a lot of volume so the immediate inventory sync is very important to us or we would oversell items.

Cons: The retail app needs some work but I understand they need more time to update the software. Once the bugs get worked out, I would love to have a complete retail POS solution. In my mind it would include, physical inventory counts using scanners for tons of inventory -preferable to have multiple people doing different parts of the store at the same time. Included in retail should be a report for the inventory status/financial which would include total count, total cost, and total retail price of the entire store/warehouse. Also, a better integration for Quickbooks online. I'm scared to add this integration because it gets horrible reviews.

Kristen B.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/27

"Easy and efficient"

Comments: Organizing all products sold, in stock, and custom orders.

Pros: I can keep my sales, products, and inventory in one place. No problems every occur when using. Great software which helps me keep our business organized.

Cons: I haven't encountered any problems. Everything is working efficiently like it should. It even gives suggestions.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/27
Michelle L.
Volunteer and Treasurer
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/13

"Square Use by Non-Profit"

Comments: We chose this software because we needed a way to take credit card payments that didn't involve opening up a web browser on a computer and hand entering in numbers. We use the readers and software to take in person payments at events. This has been such a great improvement to how we used to do it. It has sped up the registration process a lot. it has also given us an easy way to take payments for t shirts and pins at events where we could only take cash previously.

Pros: This was one of the least expensive options for taking credit card payments at events. When we signed up we even got 1 credit card reader for free. (Note that you do need reader 1 fore android phones and 1 for iphones). It was very easy to sign up and we got our card readers very quickly. The software is easy to use. I like that you can have multiple users. Also, a lot of people recognize and trust square so they have no issues providing their cards for scanning.

Cons: We haven't used the service/software for a long enough time to encounter any major bugs. Some cards (older, worn down) have a harder time scanning than others but that is a card issue, not an issue with the scanner.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/13
Jessica W.
Director of Operations
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/16

"Simple to use, good interface"

Pros: Its very simple to use and train new employees on. Reports are easy to run and can get most data that you need. Allows you to communicate with customers.
They are continuing evolving and adding new features.

Cons: Wish there was a way to take a deposit for future orders (placed online or on the phone) so the sales are applied to the date they are picked not the day we take the payment. For advance orders, available pick up times are based on your hours of operations. Wish we could limit that depending on what is being ordered.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/16
Benjamin H.
Self Employed
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/08/10

"Square is saving small businesses!"

Comments: Easy to use.

Pros: Easy to use! Functional! Minimal time to receive critical business information. Ability to pull up current sales is just seconds behind the transactions at the retail location! Very impressive!

Cons: The steps that are showing up at the top of my feed for Square retail. Mobile app is par, much better to use desktop version. iPad and iPhone software make some features inaccessible.

• Reviewed on 2017/08/10
Chris U.
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/23

"Very User Friendly and quick software"

Comments: I use it for all my clients who want to pay for my services with a credit card. I have had no issues so far.

Pros: I liked the interface of the software. Very user friendly and easy to do transactions with. I also have used the manual entry multiple times with no problem.

Cons: I would say the only thing I dislike is the extra charge for instant deposit, that's it. Nothing else stands out to me.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/23
Chris B.
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/12

"Square for all my business needs"

Comments: Overall, I am very satisfied with all Square products.I'll continue to be a Square customer

Pros: I like the ability to have all my business under one company. I use Square for Retail, for payment devices, and web/store.

Cons: I don't have any complaints with Square... Other than having lower fees, but the fees are reasonable and within industry pricing.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/12
Dianna C.
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/05

"Love love love this processing for our credit cards"

Comments: The cost are amazing and FREE EQUIPMENT can not be beat!

Pros: The FREE software and low cost processing fees are GREAT. Money gets deposited FAST and deposited by 1am the next business day. No wait. No hassel.

Cons: Customer Service of you need to actually talk to a human is very lacking. They want to communicate by email and as a business some times you need a human right away.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/05
Jeff J.
Customer Service & Sales Mgr
Consumer Goods, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/21

"Very intuitive!"

Comments: We set-up a our Square account to accepts cards rather than cash/checks for our semi-annual yard sale at a remote location where we were selling discounted storage sheds. In years past, we were taking checks, writing down drivers' license numbers, sometimes credit card numbers as back up. It was not secure and we just hoped a check would not bounce! Now with square, we know instantly if the transaction went through and we can proceed with delivery. Very convenient.

Pros: This software was very easy to set-up and the ability to process a credit card remotely on a phone or tablet was appreciated by our customers and our exec team alike. Processing transactions was also very simple, especially if your customer has used Square before.

Cons: No complaints aside from the fees associated with the service, on top of fees charged by the credit card merchants themselves. For this reason we do not utilize square as our primary method of capturing payment.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/21
Yana B.
manager
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/21

"Organizing app"

Pros: We love using this app for organizing our customer base and keeping track of invoices. Easy to use and safe as it asks for code, that is generated every 30 days.

Cons: not being able to connect to customer service over phone when you need urgent help. Its not available as of today. Hope it will be soon.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/21
Owner/Entertainment Specialist
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/02

"My experience with Square is a fantastic!"

Comments: The benefits I get from this software are the ease of receiving payments from my clients. Love the no hassle of a subscription merchant service.

Pros: What I like most is nearly everything! I get emails with updates to my deposits and I love the fact that my clients never have issues paying their invoices.

Cons: What I like least about Square is the fact that the client's name doesn't show along with their payment. This is the biggest headache when trying to apply the merchant fees and their payment into my accounting software.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/02
Tara J.
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/15

"Square makes my life easier"

Comments: Square for Retail has made handling my business transactions so much easier. I am able to keep track of inventory as well as orders and customer info all in one place.

Pros: All I have to do is enter my customer info once and Square remembers it for next time. Also, Square automatically sends invoice reminders to my customers so I don't have to.

Cons: The only thing that I can honestly say I don't like is that you have to have at least $25 in order to do same day deposit.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/15
Mylinda B.
Office manager
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/11

"Square works for us"

Comments: We are a growing retail business with inventory arriving daily and sales growing. Square has allowed us to track what is selling and what is not.

Pros: We use square daily in our retail store. It meets all our needs and they have worked with us on the rates.

Cons: It's sometimes hard to find the answers through the support we need about entering items or random questions that pop up. We've been able to google for answers and found what we need.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/11
Teddy W.
CFO
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/22

"Square for Retail- Review"

Comments: Mobility we use it in some really out of the way places

Pros: ease of use,able to train staff quickly,and it is very mobile will work almost anywhere

Cons: Can still use without internet but a bit tricky to use in offline mode

• Reviewed on 2019/02/22
Kathleen M.
Author
Publishing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/07

"Business owners best friend"

Comments: I’ve used it for two seasons and it keeps an accurate record of all credit card transactions. Great device and program.

Pros: During the holidays I sell crafts and paintings, and I attend many shows and events where I need a portable cardscanning device. Square is portable, small, plugs into my smart phone or tablet, calculates tax, keeps email contact information and Emails receipts for paperless transactions. It is indispensable to me at these sales venues.

Cons: I can’t complain because the fees are very minimal and they gave me a generous free trial, but who wouldn’t want to keep all of their money?

• Reviewed on 2018/09/07
Carlos F.
Cashier
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/22

"Amazing Software and Convenient Products"

Comments: Square will continuously be used by me and my staff as it makes work 10 times easier to maneuver around jobs.

Pros: Square is used daily in my profession as it makes every day transactions and receipts easy and convenient.

Cons: There were not many flaws to this software although the wifi range is quite small and limits capabilities.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/22
Sr. Team Lead - Network Operations
Financial Services, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/18

"There is no better merchant service"

Comments: If you're a small or even large business and you're looking for a Merchant Provider, Square is it. The website, app and hardware are excellent. Valuable reporting and so many customization options.

Pros: Easy to setup, free card reader, easy to use, people know the product well and the rates are affordable and you can customize deposits based on your needs. Great website and very easy to navigate.

Cons: There are cheaper providers from a fee standpoint but the ease of use makes its worth paying a little more.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/18
Breanna E.
Independent consultant
Consumer Goods, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/15

"Square makes it easy"

Comments: I’m happy that this app is available because it simplifies the way you take payments from customers and it will automatically be deposited into your bank account. It takes away the hassle of dealing with cash and making deposits yourself. You can add products to a library and charge the customer that way or you can use the keypad and type in the amount.

Pros: It’s easy to use the square app and card reader to take payments from customers. I use this most often when I do craft fairs/vendor shows. The card reader is small and not bulky so it makes it simple to carry into events and doesn’t take up a lot of space at my booths. I can even enter payments by hand if I forget the card reader. I can also request payments from customers by invoices and receive payments all in the app.

Cons: I found that the fees for depositing the money to your bank account can be a little high. There is also a small glitch that prevents certain functions from loading all of the time so I have to restart the app some times.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/15
Kristen S.
clerk
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/18

"Awesome"

Pros: I loved this app for business sales. I sends a text receipt and email if wanted!Definitely worth the purchase of the app can track all transactions.

Cons: Sometimes slow connection and can't hit numbers a lot during a freeze or it charges wrongly. No other issues.

• Reviewed on 2018/06/18