ShopKeep Reviews

by ShopKeep By Lightspeed

• Overall
    3,4 /5
    3,8 /5
    3,2 /5

About ShopKeep

ShopKeep By Lightspeed exists to give independent business owners the tools they need to thrive in the modern world.

Learn more about ShopKeep

Sophie L.
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/29

"Terrible experience"

Comments: My online business is critical to me and I felt I was not provided with enough options and information to switch my online payment options. Only if I knew Shopkeep payments are not available in Canada, I would have had more time to look for and prepare for the changes. I decided to walk away from Shopkeep and find something else that would provide POS and e-commerce system without this trouble. I requested to have a full refund of my Shopkeep e-commerce system (last 2 months payments) and also opt me out of POS subscription. The Shopkeep agent declined and said their policy won't allow any refund. I feel my business is not valued. Their business decision to remove the existing payment method is certainly affecting my business and they are not willing to accommodate for causing such inconvenience. Now I'm left with a website with no payment options for my customers until I set up a new website. If anyone is looking for a simple way to set up online ordering system, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY. I would recommend Ecwid that would provide exactly the same service at a cheaper plan.

Pros: Easy to use . Set up was not too difficult although it took some time to figure out other functionality. Once it is set up, it is easy and simple. Good for small business.

Cons: I was perfectly happy with Shopkeep until when I found out that Shopkeep e-commerce is removing existing online payment method, Stripe, which was a major payment gateway for my online business. They recommended adding their own Shopkeep payments instead at 3.5% (Strip was 2.9%). I wasn't happy but I assumed I didn't have a choice. I decided to wait until the last minute and make the switch. When I tried to opt in for Shopkeep payments yesterday, the error message came up so I called the support and found out Shopkeep payment method is not available in Canada! That was not stated in their email clearly. I started to look for other payment options such as Clover and Authorize.net. I was advised by Shopkeep agent that I had to call my merchant company to set up Authroize.net. When I called my merchant agent at First Data, they told me the service is not available and that they are not trained to provide assistance with Authorize.net. I called Shopkeep support back today to get advice. They insisted that I speak with First Data again. Another option suggested is to set up my website again with other e-commerce platform (Ecwid?) from scratch. That will make me spend days to upload a menu, pictures, modifiers and etc. I was stressed with my situation as I don't have time to do all that work while I'm working with the minimum number of staff due to Covid-19.

by ShopKeep on 2020/08/05

Hi Sophie,
Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We take every review seriously and have forwarded your feedback to the appropriate teams. We've also issued a refund to your account for your ecommerce subscription. If you have any other questions or comments, please let us know.
The ShopKeep Team.

• Reviewed on 2020/07/29
Michael M.
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/20

"Shopkeep for Small Business"

Pros: The ShopKeep program is easy to use on an iPad. It is useful in a retail store but with small inventory.

Cons: The interface to set up inventory is time consuming if individual items are not added via a file upload. Even when set up, multiple screens are required to set up brands, sizes, and flavors. Need to use a scanner for easy, fast, and effective pos checkouts.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/20
Kristine T.
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/11

"Shopkeep Locks up during service"

Comments: Frustrating. Disappointing.

Pros: Easy to get going. At this point, I don't have a lot of good to say.

Cons: During service hours, we have a long line..shopkeep locks up and takes 5 minutes to get going again. This was not a once in a while thing but EVERY SINGLE DAY. Contacting customer service and they don't have an answer except for uninstalling program and rebooting. Really, during high volume with a line of people looking at you wondering what is taking so long. We are going to eat the $90 monthly service fee just to get out of this POS POS system. I thought I was very careful and thoughtful about my POS..I made a mistake. Don't do the same thing I did by choosing Shop Keep.

by ShopKeep on 2020/05/19

Hi Kristine,
Thank you so much for your feedback. Sorry to hear about your recent experience. We have forwarded your comments to the appropriate team members. They are currently reviewing your account and will be reaching out to you directly to help resolve.
-The ShopKeep Team

• Reviewed on 2020/05/11
Nelson O.
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/10

"bad customer service"

Comments: DO NOT BUY THIS SYSTEM unless you are very good at internet technology and enjoy troubleshooting and restarting your systems frequently. They will not help you beyond the most basic information

Pros: when the system is working it's quite easy to use. The base level customer service is pretty good and the hold times are very short. basic help is available 24/7 because they use call centers in different parts of the world, most often Ireland

Cons: When you have a problem, you start over very time with a different agent who follows the same flow chart and regurgitates the same information. It's IMPOSSIBLE to speak to any kind of manager. To receive more advanced advice requires an escalated appointment which often takes days. They will always blame your network for all connectivity issues and will not assist you any further after that. Next time you have an issue, you go back to the beginning and start from scratch with a complete stranger. Also this system requires EXTENSIVE internet technology knowledge on site all the time. We trouble shoot and diagnose internet and connectivity issues multiple times a week.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/10
Carrie B.
Shop Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/11

"ShopKeep for Your Little Shop"

Comments: Our experience over the last year and a half has been positive. We are satisfied with everything that we are able to do with ShopKeep and look forward to adding features as our business grows. I would recommend this system to other businesses.

Pros: When I was originally shopping for a POS system, I was a new buyer. I have new how to use different system but was never the decision maker. I researched for price, ease of use, payroll capabilities and tech support. ShopKeep ticked all the boxes. It is easy to update when we add new products or change pricing. It is easy to check the time clock and adjust for missed punches. We have had a few occasions to use the customers service and each time were met with excellent service and immediate action to resolve our issues.

Cons: The upgrades are pricey for a small business but I don’t think it is much different than other systems that are available. We are a new, small business and value the bottom line more than the bells and whistles. As our business grows it is nice to know that the capabilities are there to grow with us.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/11
Christopher B.
Operations Manager
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/01/10

"Rescued us from a POS of perpetual problems"

Comments: When we first transitioned from a legacy POS to an iPad-based POS, we'd gone with another product that seemed perfect. Unfortunately, that product was like buying a house and discovering a day in and day out that it was full of mold, had cracks in the foundation and other structural problems, and the repair people tasked with helping you seemed trained to make things worse. It required constant attention in order to ensure very basic functionality, crashed constantly, caused massive headaches with credit card processing, and everyone from our account rep to her bosses to "tech support" was so clueless, one could write a sitcom with the stories. We shopped around for our replacement, making sure to ask all the questions and investigate to the best of our abilities so as not to end up in the same place. We found ShopKeep and could not be more pleased with the results. I cannot overstate how completely opposite every interaction with ShopKeep has been compared with the competitor we replaced. Every question has been answered satisfactorily, every issue dealt with (and not forgotten by an overwhelmed support crew), and every guarantee upheld. Even better, the application itself functions as advertised, so we are not spending actual hours of our time making something work; it just works. We don't experience crashing, lost data, unsolvable credit card processing nightmares, and the rare calls to tech support are quick and painless. There may not be as many back-end bells and whistles in terms of reporting and inventory, but these are always in development, and I feel comfortable saying that when these new elements are introduced they will function as described. The app is clean, intuitive to learn, easy to use, and the resources made available, detailed online instructions, videos, etc. combined with helpful, engaged, communicative staff at all levels have made ShopKeep a hero to us. If I ever notice ShopKeep being used at another business, I always make a point to ask about it and find the same enthusiastic appreciation I'm trying to convey here. (Whereas I do the same with the competitor we ditched, and always see their eyes glaze over.) I highly recommend ShopKeep and know that users will be as satisfied as we are to have found them.

Pros: Clean design, easy & intuitive to learn, very stable i.e. does not crash, connectivity has never been an issue, back-office works well in its current format. Tech support always available, helpful, and willing to go the extra step to help when they do not immediately have the answer. Simplicity, meaning one is not overwhelmed with more features than one could use (and which could be rendered pointless if overall stability is a challenge). Fairly flexible layout for the iPad menus. Very straightforward to set-up, and the online resources are comprehensive. I taught myself everything in an afternoon, and staff all took to it quite easily. I have not had to spend hours and hours trying to establish functionality with a line of customers staring at me.

Cons: BackOffice reporting could be a little more comprehensive and with more user control in terms of personalization. Bulk editing and management of inventory/stock items is nice, but individual item edits can be time-consuming if one is only working on 5 items (vs. 50).

• Reviewed on 2017/01/10
Anthony D.
Tobacco, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/27

"A great product for business"

Comments: Overall, we enjoy using Shopkeep

Pros: The ease of using the software. Very simple to train on and very self explanatory

Cons: Glitches of logging the user out randomly

• Reviewed on 2019/06/27
Jennifer S.

"Great POS Software"

Comments: With an expanding array of products and optional modifiers, we required something more advanced than our traditional cash register. The product was easy set up and super easy to teach our staff to use(many of whom are at total ease with technology). Having the order printer also took care of issues with difficulties in reading the handwriting of our staff and made the look of our order tickets uniform. The customer service that I received when needed has been outstanding, with some of the issues resolved either immediately or within a few days. That said, this product is not particularly friendly to Canadian vendors as it dos not comply with certain requirements relating to sales tax, exchange rates make it much more expensive than other comparable products now on the market and it does not have card processing outside of the US. Overall, it is a good product, easy to use and easy to customize.

Pros: Easy to customize and arrange POS screens, easy to teach staff to use, good selection of reports and stats available.

Cons: Not easy to perform changes that affect many items at once, still no breakout of taxes as required by Canadian law (must show split between provincial and federal taxes) despite repeated requests over the years, full functionality is not available in Canada, expensive when factoring in the exchange rate.

Estone C.
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/23

"Buyer beware"

Comments: This is not a review to slam the shopkeep pos itself, however, beware their sales reps will tell you ANYTHING and yes LIE to you to buy their system. I know of many people who use shopkeep and were extremely satisfied. I'm very familiar with pos systems so I had shopkeep at the front of the pack when searching for my store's needs. After extensive research I learned shopkeeps card terminal DOES NOT force debit card pin customers to enter their PIN number because it charges everything as credit. Therefore if a customer has a stolen emv debit card and uses it in your store/business, YOU THE MERCHANT, are responsible for the transaction and it WILL BE a chargeback to you. Understand, shopkeeps pos is emv compliant, that's not my concern, there's DIFFERENT LEVELS OF COMPLIANCE, and an emv card terminal which processes emv and pin cards and forces customers to enter their PIN number, known as emv and pin terminals are THE MOST COMPLIANT and the merchant will never have to worry about a chargeback with this type terminal. AND THAT IS WHERE SHOPKEEPS FAILS AND all their LIEING teenage sales reps especially Peter will tell you , you're covered and you're not. They LIE so much they even sent me an article describing how I'll be protected against counterfeit cards, WHERE THAT WASNT MY CONCERN, MY CONCERN WAS LOST/STOLEN CARDS. They will lie and switch things around and if you don't know what you need or are not educated in pos systems you'll be taken and they don't care. And for that experience I believe other comments posted here about their horrible/lied to experiences as well. Needless to say I went with someone else. Buyer beware.

Pros: I know people that have shopkeep and have no problems.

Cons: Their sales reps are liars and will lie for a sale. That's unethical, if they'll do that it makes me wonder about the entire business and could I trust them to support me later or even refund me my money as they claim they'll do within 30days.

• Reviewed on 2016/11/23
Walter C.
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/21

"Pulled me out the darkness"

Comments: If I am in retail sales I will use Shopkeep. It just works good. Did I say great customer service, that's a really big thing for me. Don't need it often, but when you do you do. I look at my competitors and pity them with their cumbersome systems.

Pros: It was fast and easy to set up. The reports are great. The customer service is great.The Quickbooks interface works very good, and the occasional glitch has been very easy to fix. Inventory works good. Overall I am really happy. Before this I was operating in the dark, with the huge job of entering register data into Quickbooks. Now its just a matter of printing the reports. The graphs work good too.

Cons: My biggest problem, account mapping for the items I sell. It's complicated and I can't quite get it figured out. Shopkeep set it originally, and probably I should have been more involved. I have a simple menu, and probably 6-8 drink options and would love to see more separation, sales numbers for the different categories, as opposed to dumping it all into sales. But that just a setup issue, as you get started just pay close attention.

Ragan V.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/30

"Shopkeep Feedback"

Comments: The canned reports are pretty useful

Pros: I like how easy Shopkeep is to use aaaaa

Cons: 1) It does not sync COGs with Quickbooks Online 2) I pay extra for expedited customer service when I call in for help. Over the past several months the wait times are in excess of 30 minutes which does not seem like I'm getting anything for paying the extra money

• Reviewed on 2019/10/30
Michelle O.
Vice President
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/27

"Goes above and Beyond"

Comments: Overall, shopkeep is better than I ever expected.

Pros: Shopkeep has been easy to use from day 1. The reporting part of it is one of my favorite parts because they make it so user-friendly and they're always looking to the customers on ways to improve. In addition, their customer service is great. They really go above and beyond until your problem is resolved.

Cons: I wish it came with an actual book manual I could download hand out to the employees during their orientation.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/27
Teresa S.
Owner/Operator
  • Reviewed on 2017/01/09

"A monger's dream POS"

Comments: We initially had another POS and I had to switch because some features were missing. I asked around our cheese community and ShopKeep came up as an ideal for our particular industry. It works like a dream for us. Well, I might like a new card reader but I know the folks at ShopKeep are working on better equipment for that I'm told. It isn't a problem that gets in the way and I would recommend ShopKeep to any other retailer/restaurant that is similar to ours. It really is a super user-friendly, support accessible POS system. A biz in our space uses Square and while it's nice enough, it really doesn't hold up to how nice ShopKeep is for us. They keep improving. When we opened a little over a year ago there was a report that wasn't available that I thought would inform our projections/planning. Since requesting it (as I'm guessing others have) it is now a particular report feature we can access. Thanks, ShopKeep -- for all the glitches that can happen in day to day biz, my POS is one I don't really have to worry about.

Pros: Ease of use for someone who generally is technically challenged. Reliable.

Cons: Our card reader needs frequent restarting and synching.

• Reviewed on 2017/01/09
David J.

"ShopKeep Review"

Comments: I’m not sure if it’s a Shopkeep issue, a credit card processing issue or an internet issue, but we have times when we’re busy that the reader disconnects and it’s really inconvenient. Seems like a glitch that should be able to be fixed.

Pros: Ease of use. Back office is pretty useful.

Cons: I wish they would allow an admin. Control button that can lock out things like employees being able to change their time on the time clock. It would make it more secure.

Carol C.
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/29

"Easy to use and administer!"

Pros: Shopkeep is flexible and extremely easy to maintain - whether from a laptop or from my phone for on-the-fly adjustments. Our primary users are teenagers who find the software easy to use and has a familiar look and feel to them being on the iPad. It is extremely intuitive and they are able to figure out things that they haven't yet been trained on. I like that not only does it provide the POS functionality but also time tracking, and overall reporting.

Cons: Would like better reporting on selections and modifiers but Shopkeep continually enhances the product so I'm sure at some point this will fit more with my needs.

Jackie K.
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/20

"Easy, Affordable and Great Customer Support"

Pros: It is easy to use, affordable, the customer support is very helpful. I love that it is an app and I can work from home, entering inventory, printing price tags, setting up registers and buttons, checking sales at any time of the day, couldn't be happier!

Cons: Shopkeep is constantly updating and improving their app, however we are still waiting for a place to put in a date when we enter our inventory (so we can look up how old it is), also, you cannot do a return/exchange in one transaction, you have to return the item, and then on a separate transaction you have to put in the exchanged item, so, two transactions. Not helpful when you have a "store credit only" for returns/exchanges. We have had to keep our other credit card processor because of the lack of one transaction for returns/exchanges. Also, the gift cards are a bit confusing too.

Dale B.
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees

"Small shop review"

Comments: One of our goals is quality service and the shopkeep POS is a big help in achieving that goal.

Pros: The software is easy to use and it doesn’t take a software person to set up and maintain. In addition, our staff finds it easy to use a d our customers find the credit card scanner easy to use.

Cons: Nothing comes to mind- sorry but I can’t think or anything.

Albert B.
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/03

"Still good but getting bloated"

Comments: Still good, but you either need to stop the complicating changes to the register interface or give us customizing options. And please remove your banner ads from our working interface, that is just insulting.

Pros: Simple and easy to use. Very stable. I also love the fact that I don’t need to keep a dedicated and vulnerable server on site.

Cons: I cringe every time I need to do a software update. What used to be a very functional and simple register screen gets more bloated with every update. It seems Shopkeep is catering more to restaurants these days. A change that costs me an additional click or drill-down for each transaction is a big deal. Also, I really resent the banner ad taking up my valuable desktop space trying to upsell me in backoffice. I do not like paying to look at your ads every day.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/03
Jorge D.
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/14

"Simple and Reliable"

Comments: Overall, I believe this is a good product that just needs to be improved a little to make more functional for the price, which is not cheap.

Pros: Easy to use and really good reports. One of the best software tools for retail operations. Customer support is always available to answer any questions, even if it's not the answer you want. I will say that they are always working on ways to improve their product.

Cons: There are a couple of functions that I wished they had. Editing variants is an issue when adding new products to an existing product line. This would be my biggest complaint. There are some other software products that are easier to modify without having to delete a previous listing in order to modify or correct that listing.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/14
Justin H.
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/24

"Backoffice is the best"

Pros: I love the depth of reports and inventory management. It is easy to teach my employees how to utilize the registers as well as the back office features.

Cons: The only real con that I can come up with is the lack of mobility.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/24
Scott H.
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/15

"Big Bang for the Buck"

Comments: We opened up in 2014 and were looking for a POS system to give us all the bells and whistles at a low cost. ShopKeep was presented to us in our store and we decided to move forward. This give us a big store POS system at a little store price.

Pros: Easy to learn to use and easy to train even the most non tech people to use program. Great tracking of profit inventory employees hours. Entering customers profiles you can go back and look at previous purchases and help them get the same product again.

Cons: Wasn’t a huge fan of price increase. However I understand that these happen. Only thing I don’t like is when there is a glitch in back office and it’s unavailable to me to track my store when I am out of town.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/15
James N.

"Intuitive interface"

Comments: A great pos at reasonable rates. Some connectivity problems with card reader but overall satisfying performance.

Pros: Easy to set up and use. Minimal training needed for personnel

Cons: No integrated online sales for delivery service

Michael W.
Chairman/CEO
Museums & Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/02

"ShopKeep rocks!"

Comments: One word: Great. Has cut our accounting issues to zero, improved cash flow accountability, let's us to daily tracking of inventory and customers, has reduced the time allotted to balancing daily sales to just a few monies. It's a solid and reliable GPS on our retail operations. Would highly recommend ShopKeep to retailers.

Pros: Ease of use, customer friendly, foolproof set-up and training, retail pricing and inventory features, customer messaging and engagement opportunities, accounting interface

Cons: Price just went up, but they worked a deal with me

• Reviewed on 2019/07/02
Sarah L.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/28

"Not great for lots ofninventory"

Pros: Ease of use on the front end is great. Almost anyone with a brain can figure it out which expedites the training process for new employees.

Cons: It’s is far too cumbersome to add items to this platform. The ability to add items to multiple locations on one screen has helped but having to click to a different page to print every item, and not being able to enter the inventory for all locations at once makes the process take far longer than it should. An update that would allow us to not only enter the items but also the inventory for all locations and print labels all from one screen would shave hours off of time spent staring at the screen instead of selling to customers.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/28
Drew S.
Manager, Brand Development & Merchandise
Sports, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/17

"Overall great product"

Comments: Overall I’ve seen many changes and positive updates in my 3+ years of using the product. I’ve got bottling but good things to say and have actually recommended it to a few other organizations.

Pros: I would say the ease of use and pricing are great, but what I like the most is it’s integration with Big Commerce that allows for us to operate an online store! Everything is managed directly within ShopKeep and easily integrates over into Big Commerce.

Cons: Not sure there’s anything I don’t like at the moment. If asked this question when we first started using the product, it would’ve been that you needed a separate button for each size of a product. This has since been updated and fixed.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/17